Commonland Foundation is an international system change developer of large-scale landscape restoration projects. We bring solutions to increase biodiversity, combat climate change, boost regenerative agriculture and revitalise communities – all at the landscape scale. Our mission: to transform 100 million hectares of degraded landscapes before 2040, together with other landscape partners, farmers, policymakers, businesses, NGOs, and investors. To make this happen, we have developed the ‘4 Returns Framework’. This practical and holistic approach to transforming degraded ecosystems into vibrant landscapes and communities focuses on 4 key Returns supported by landscape zones over a single generation or 20 years.
As a growing organization we strongly recognise ourselves in three core values: Empower each other, Honest & Compassionate and Put words into action. We empower and challenge ourselves and colleagues and provide them with the needed support to grow. We are interested in trying to understand the other and tease out misunderstandings if they occur. Last but not least, we say what we do: proactive information sharing and gathering as a lot of our work is relevant across teams and relies on cross-team collaboration.
As an open, driven, and enthusiastic team of professionals, we are all working dedicated to our mission to restore landscapes. We want to be set up for our scaling plans and therefore, we are looking for a hands-on
Labs Coordinator (0,8 – 1 FTE)
The labs team (part of the Landscape Development & Support team) creates, designs, and delivers different labs expressions, from landscape, policy, thematic labs to leaderships labs in organisations. Labs are multi-stakeholder learning processes that aim to create belonging and support a community to collaborate towards large-scale land restoration. This type of large-scale land restoration happens within one ‘bioregion’, an area defined by a comparable climate, ecosystem, and socio-economic system. Following the architecture of a Theory U-process, a (Bioregional) Labs brings together relevant stakeholders and takes them on a journey of:
1. Sensing and understanding the socio-, ecological, economic and political landscape they are a part of more deeply
2. Forging new relationships that support multi-stakeholder collaboration
3. Collectively discovering the biggest leverage points in their system, and – from this understanding –
4. Develop system-interventions at strategic leverage points
The design and delivery of most of these labs are done in strong collaboration with the Presencing Institute and other partners (eg Ashoka).
The Labs Coordinator will be part of the Labs team and play a crucial and tactic role in the team. This team member will oversee the coordination, organizing follow up activities in labs projects, labs partnerships and labs propositions. The position will contribute to further develop
and operationalise the Labs strategy plan, create structure within Labs and it’s collaborations. The position is building and creating an enabling environment for lab practitioners within Commonland and our partnerships to design and deliver labs.
- Operationalise the strategy plan for labs together with the Labs Manager, work out the details and keep overview of the deliverables.
- Organizing and coordination of lab activities including workshops, meetings and learning events.
- Coordinating, developing and operationalizing of labs projects, labs partnerships and labs propositions.
- Keep track of internal and external reporting deadlines and source and consolidate progress updates.
- Elaborate proposals for specific projects/collaborations (partnerships); this includes proposal writing, project design, weaving of partnerships and creating new propositions.
- Building a team- and meeting structure, being aware to follow up on deadlines and creates clarity on work activities.
- Counteracting opportunities and make sure the Labs team will keep a strong focus of what needs to be done and take decisions to create clarity on the next steps to be taken.
- Engage in meetings and events and have regular meetings with the Labs team and its relevant external partners and stakeholders to ensure the team is up to date on activities and challenges
- Support internal teams and landscape partners on Labs related questions and challenges
- Master’s degree in the direction of Environmental Science or Development studies
- Vision and strategic thinking, but you can also use your conceptual ability to translate these in pragmatic outcomes (creating concrete plans)
- You are a do’er, being proactive and perseverance in achieving our goals
- You are a champion in keeping an overview of various plans & activities and have strong planning and organising/project management skills.
- Building relationships comes naturally for you and you like to connect to different team members and (external) stakeholders. This makes it much easier to be a good team player and to cooperate effectively.
- Realistic thinker, you can keep focus and know when you have to push back
- Strong communication skills, you don’t hold back your opinion and you can give constructive feedback.
- Able to listen deeply and taking care of the balance and harmony in the Labs team.
Key Relationships & Roles
- Together with Labs colleagues, provide support for Labs and LD&S team members in the development and implementation of Labs activities
- Collaborate with the Labs Manager to set up the Labs strategy and ensure effective follow up on related proposals, plans and work activities
- Work closely with external partners on proposals and plans which are in line with the Labs strategy
- Represent Commonland at external meetings, develop and maintain effective working relations and have regular meetings with partners to optimise efficient information sharing
What can Commonland offer you besides a good salary?
- The opportunity to create long-term sustainable and social impact across continents
- A dynamic and international scale-up environment with passionate, enthusiastic team members
- The opportunity to develop and implement your own ideas in line with our strategy
- You will join a collective pension scheme
- A yearly training budget
- Fun activities to get to know your colleagues even better
- We will make your home office almost as pleasant as our brand-new office location in Amsterdam (including a working from home allowance)
- Weekly healthy lunch, good coffee, Dutch tea, monthly drinks, and a great office view
We’re looking forward to hearing from you why you believe you have what it takes to fill this position! If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Dieter, Labs Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please send your information (up to you how you would like to apply) to Anouk, Manager HR, email@example.com, before October 17th, 2021.
Every day we work on our mission to inspire a diverse audience and bring new meaning and value to people’s lives. It doesn’t matter what name you wear, where you come from, what you look like or what you believe in. We are therefore also here for you, and you are most welcome to apply!