Head of Carbon
Commonland Foundation is an Amsterdam-based, internationally operating organization working on large-scale and long-term landscape restoration initiatives. And we’re on a mission: to transform 100 million ha of degraded landscapes before 2040 together with other landscape partners, farmers, policymakers, companies, and investors. To make this happen we have developed the ‘4 Returns’ framework. A practical and holistic approach to transform degraded ecosystems into vibrant landscapes and communities by focusing on 4 key returns supported by landscape zones over the course of a single generation, or 20 years.
As an open, driven, and enthusiastic team of professionals, we are all working dedicated to our mission to restore landscapes. We have defined three core values which we strongly recognize ourselves: Empower each other, Honest & Compassionate and Put words into action. We empower and challenge ourselves and colleagues and provide them with the needed
support to grow. We are interested in trying to understand the other and tease out
misunderstandings if and when they occur. Last but not least, we say what we do: proactive information sharing and gathering as a lot of our work is relevant across teams and relies on cross-team collaboration.
Commonland is looking for a Head of Carbon to drive and build our carbon proposition and team including strategy, direction and evolution of carbon programs.
Commonland has recently developed a landscape carbon strategy and is starting to set up activities.
As we are in the process of starting the preliminary activities, we are looking for an entrepreneurial, hands-on and experienced leader to join our team and take the lead in setting up and running the carbon team reporting directly to the CEO/COO.
You will be working from our head office based in Amsterdam (easy to reach by public transport and by car), and may travel to the landscapes for extended periods of time on a frequent basis. While the execution of the carbon strategy at Foundation level will be your main priority, you will also help to build carbon programmes within landscapes with our core partners. Most of the work will be done in the landscapes: when engaging in projects we build local capacity as soon as possible, therefore we have a relatively small head office.
As a commercial, sustainability professional, your experience will include:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in climate, biodiversity and nature-based solutions, REDD+, TREES, carbon credits, landscape design, regenerative agriculture and carbon farming, afforestation and deforestation
- Entrepreneurial in your approach, hands-on and strategic thinking with a proven record of business growth and building the business and personnel infrastructure to support this growth
- Proven track record in stakeholder management across public and corporate organizations
- Managing supply and demand side, initiating multi-million transactions (including jurisdictional programs), building a pipeline of buyers, as well as development of channel partnerships
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Further developing and executing the strategy, direction and evolution of the carbon activities
- Co-developing the 4 Returns Carbon credit co-benefit methodology together with our core landscape partners
- Leading the development and evolution of the 4 Returns Carbon programs to ensure they evolve in a manner that guarantees the integrity and quality of all projects and credits and ensures they are strategically positioned to continue to play a leading role in driving climate action and holistic landscape management
- Collaborating with other Commonland departments to ensure synchronization on key opportunities and challenges (e.g., engaging in cross-organizational discussions on communications, innovations and organizational strategy)
- Engaging with outside stakeholders, including corporates, NGOs and governments in order to build and maintain essential relationships, and inform program development and organizational strategy.
- Supervising program staff
- Representing Commonland at external meetings and events
What can Commonland offer you besides a good salary?
- The opportunity to create long-term sustainable and social impact across continents
- The opportunity to work in an inspiring Dutch-based, globally focused start-up/ scale-up environment
- A dynamic and international work environment full of passionate, enthusiastic team members
- You will join a collective pension scheme
- A yearly trainings budget of € 2000,-
- We will make your home office almost as pleasant as our brand-new office location in Amsterdam Noord
You will also receive the following benefits once the coronavirus measures are over:
- Weekly healthy lunch, good coffee, Dutch tea, monthly drinks, and a great office view
- Public transport or car allowance
- Fun activities to get to know your colleagues even better
- The opportunity to develop and implement your own ideas in line with the strategy
If you have any questions regarding this position contact our COO Jeroen Voorhuis, otherwise send your motivation and CV to Anouk Breukers, Manager HR & Office at Commonland, before March 1st 2021. Let us know why you believe you have what it takes to fill this position!